LGBT holidays in Asia
Here at Selective Asia, our number one priority is to ensure that you don’t just visit Asia - you experience Asia, in all its glory. We like to make sure that every client is provided with the tools and information required to make the best decisions regarding their holiday. Everyone in the SA team is on the same mission - continuous improvement (or kaizen, as it’s called in Japan) and striving to deliver the best possible experience for our clients, before, during and after their travels.
The Asia travel experience for a solo gay traveller or a LGBT couple is no different to any other travellers, and some of our destinations rank amongst the top places to visit in the world for LGBT travellers – Bangkok, Bali, Tokyo and Hong Kong all have buzzing LGBT scenes. However, there are different questions that might need answering, and we want to provide as much reliable information as we can to answer them.
Tips for LGBT Travellers in Asia
- The destinations we operate in are, on the whole, tolerant and open to LGBT travellers, but public displays of affection by couples of any sexuality are not the norm in Asia, and in some countries can cause offense. We recommend against any PDAs when travelling in Asia, to couples of any sexual orientation.
- Certain parts of Asia celebrate the LGBT community, and there are many brilliant friendly festivals throughout the year. Travelling during Pride or any festival in Asia allows greater connections with the local communities. Please speak to one of our destination specialists to find out when these are taking place or take a look at our blog on top LGBT festivals in Asia for more details.
- Equaldex and the ILGA publish maps which clearly illustrate sexual orientation laws and rights across the world. Homosexuality is legal in most of our destinations, but we do operate in some countries where it’s illegal, and we’ll be happy to have a chat about our experience of the ‘on-the-ground’ reality for LGBT travellers in these places. The Foreign Office Travel Aware website offers general advice for LGBT travel, but not for specific countries.
- As part of our service and commitment to you we will ensure that your bedding configuration of choice (double or twin) is confirmed, in order to prevent any awkward moments when checking in to your hotel.
- If you would like any recommendations on nightlife or festivals in your Asian holiday destination, we’d be happy to share our suggestions with you or point you in the direction of where to look. Please chat to your specialist about this.
- There are many great bloggers writing about their experiences when travelling. Many of these people are travelling independently but we feel some of their advice and experiences may be useful for all travellers to Asia. We'll let Google point you in the right direction to find these but it's great to see how much has been written about LGBT travel in Asia and beyond.
And lastly – if you are booking your honeymoon with Selective Asia, we have access to some really special honeymoon benefits for our clients.